Borrower’s Agreement & Tool Use Policy
1. Members must be age 18 or over to borrow tools from Peterborough Tool Library (“PTL”).
2. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) complete a Membership Application; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification form; (c) sign this Tool Use Policy form; and (d) have their residence confirmed by a PTL volunteer or member of the staff. Verification of the Member’s identity and residence is accomplished by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address.
3. PTL staff is available to assist in explaining operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
4. Only the Member is authorized to use PTL tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express, written permission of PTL.
5. Both power tools and hand tools may normally be borrowed for a period of 7 days. PTL reserves the right to make some tools available for a borrowing period of longer or shorter than 7 days. Members will be informed of the length of time that they may borrow a tool at the time of checkout. All tools borrowed are to be returned to PTL by close of business on their due date. Tools may only be returned during PTL’s open hours.
6. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for a late fee of $2.50 per tool per day for most power tools and $1 per tool per day for most hand tools. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $5 administrative fee per tool. Late fees are subject to change. PTL may need to replace severely overdue tools (tools that have not been returned within 30 days of their checkout), holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $5 administrative fee. The replacement cost and the administrative fee must be paid in full before a Member may borrow additional tools.
7. PTL reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve overdue tools or unpaid replacement costs and administrative fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action. If such action is taken, PTL reserves the right to assess the delinquent Member with the cost of the action. PTL also reserves the right to forgive any costs or fees due to special circumstances, or to request partial payment thereof.
8. Tools are signed out on a first-come, first-served basis. PTL will not normally accept reservations or waitlists for tools in advance. PTL reserves the right to make an exception to this policy for large, community events. No exceptions will be made for individual lending.
9. The Member agrees that PTL is not responsible for any manufacturing, material, or quality of workmanship defects of borrowed tools, nor their state of repair. PTL does not represent or warrant that any tool is fit for a particular purpose.
10. PTL staff members and volunteers are available to assist in explaining the operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any tool, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that tool in a safe, responsible and prudent manner.
11. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify PTL of the issue on return, if not earlier.
12. All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, subject to normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any tool or part thereof, and further agrees to accept PTL’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to PTL’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount would not be greater than the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $5 administrative fee.
13. PTL reserves the right to refuse the loan of any tool to any person at its reasonable discretion.
14. The Member is responsible for ensuring that the information that they provide on the Membership Application is current, true, and correct and shall update this information if it changes. PTL reserves the right to verify information provided by a Member.
I state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Peterborough Tool Library listed here, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed a Waiver and Indemnification form.